Thursday, August 27, 2009

Gear List

It has been a long time since the last post but there really hasn’t been much going on in the way of backpacking. However, I have been able to refine my gear list…in particular the “Clothing Worn” category. I have decided to abandon the Mountain Hardware zip off pants due to their weight and instead go to the Patagonia GI 2 pant with an underwear/short option. I haven’t picked up the shorts yet but will go with either the Go Lite Stride Short or the Beartooth Merino Wool Short offered by Backpackinglight.com. Either way, this new set up will offer greater versatility and reduced weight…both very good things. The Illinois trip is fast approaching and will offer a great venue for testing the new set up. Haven’t heard much commitment about this trip…so check your calendar and drop a comment. jm

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice list! I assume this is for the Illinois trip. Since you will be going in October there won't really be any bugs to worry about. You could save a few pounds by ditching the tent and poles in favor a tarp you could pitch with your trekking poles.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heber, That is the next big thing that I will be doing. I have been kicking the hammock thing around for awhile and have read your posts reagarding them. I probably will go with a Mountain Laurel Designs tarp with one of their Superlight bivies. Simply can't lay down the jack right now. Those will be great Christmas presents though...I can send you my address. HA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Thank You Very Much for sharing this helpful informative article here.

    -- camping gear | jet boil | nemo equipment | big agnes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list, thanks for posting. What kind of fuel do you use in your penny stove? Also, how much do you take and in what type of container?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom,
    I use regular denatured alchohol found in any hardware store...and even HEET (yellow) if I forget to pickup some alchohol. The best bottle to use by far are the little 8 fl oz Ice Mountain water bottles. If you are out for longer, the 16 fl oz version will work. I typically estimate about 1 fl oz of alchohol per 2 cups of water that need boiling. I will also add 1 fl oz extra just in case. jm

    ReplyDelete
  6. ordered the go lite poncho/tarp last night. Saw on ebay the go lite dragons for $32. they have the go lite dragon 2 for 40 and got excited but ended up being only for 9/9.5 or 13 size. What do you think about trekking poles? Looking at these or older models http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Lightrek4_Trekking_Poles_Matte_Black.html

    I need to buy some clothes for the trip as well. Hopefully I can get them before trip.

    C hammer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. Have a question for you. I am planning a trip to Switzerland for a month and will need a good backpack and gear. I live in Kansas City and I have no idea as to where to get any of my gear. Have you heard of Cabela's? Would that be a good place? Other than that, I have no idea.
    Please email me at Rainbowgurl152005@yahoo.com
    Thank you,

    Jerika

    ReplyDelete