Monday, December 22, 2008

Maybe Matt Blunt Isn't So Bad Afterall!

I know that over the past few years I haven't really had many nice things to say about our exiting governor Matt Blunt, but it seems that he is trying hard to change my mind in the last days before he leaves office. If you haven't visited the Ozark Trail Association website lately, they have announced that they have received $99,000 in grant money that will be used for various trail building projects throughout the current trail. This includes completion of the Courtois Gap and to help rebuild the section lost due to the Taum Sauk reservoir collapse. The money, the OTA states, will also be used for 18 new miles but as to where they were not specific. Check out the OTA link for more information: http://www.ozarktrail.com/

On another note, there are many trail building activities scheduled in the upcoming months for anyone who would like to go. Almost a year ago, Neil Wiggins, Shawn Bradley and I joined a trail building party that completed .8 miles of the Courtois Gap trail. This experience was by far the best way to experience the Ozark Trail, actually touching the trail with your hands. Check the pics below for some action shots of Shawn tearing it up. Maybe after our hike at the end of January we can get a group together to join the fun. jm






Topo Map: North Courtois Section OT

3 comments:

  1. Skate or Die Dude!!!!!!!!
    CLD loves ya!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well again i will give my little spin on this, this was some crazy shit! We actually moved earth that day... It was pretty cute at first we show up and we are like the youngest people there by like 30 years and they are having us do arm circles to loosen up before we go to town.. So basically the three of us worked circles around everyone but it was fun doing so then at lunch Jeff and Neil whip out there little Co2 stoves and whip up some Chili and Chicken n Rice... Yes it might of been a bit much since everyone else was passing around pringles but I was impressed for sure and I got to eat some left overs so I really cant say anything but if I had one of those I would of used it also... Then we start to talk around and Neil meets some chic from the Journey and Jeff and I are listening to some old guy talk about how this other lady makes him mad b/c she talks to much...( I then learned that this was a group of regulars that have done this many other times) I then moved what seen to be the trunk of a sequoia out of the middle of the path and then was informed that I wasnt supposed to be raising my ax over my head, as you can see from my pic I was determined to get that mother out. Then they called it and we were done and went back to some good bbq and social time and Jeff got his Ozark Trail Builder Bumper sticker that made me think that was the reason we came in the first place...Regardless it really was a great opportunity to be able to help build something that will be utilized for naturey kind of stuff it felt like we did something really good when we were done... FYI if you ever do this take some pills on your way home I have never been that sore in my life and Im still wondering why in the hell someone would plant a sequoia in the middle of Missouri?????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say the day we built trail was one of the best days I have ever spent outdoors.

    I think the best advice I can give is before you go back for BBQ hike every inch of trail the team built. It’s only a virgin once!

    If you have spent anytime on the Ozark trail you owe it to yourself to spend at least a day building trail. I confess that I have only put in one day so far, but I have every intention of doing it again and, I will take Shawn’s advice and take 4 Advil before I get in the car to drive home.

    ReplyDelete