Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Middle Fork: Ozark Trail

Our second trip was on the newly opened 24 mile Middle Fork section of the Ozark Trail. The official start to this section is actually at an intersection with the Trace Creek Section which is crossed a short distance south of the Council Bluff turn off. A short mile or so from this intersection is the parking lot trailhead at HWY DD which is where we set up camp Friday night. Members of this trip were Ron Mueller, Isaac Noland, Dave Tudor, Ben Nicholson, Shawn Bradley, Jeremy Dean, Neil Wiggins, Josh Heater and Fly. This day just happened to be the first day of firearms deer season (my fault) so we came equipped with hunter orange, although we didn't really have an appropriate amount visible. This trail, being of modern design, was well marked and flowed very well, complete with many Missouri vistas. We came across one oddity, however…a car in the middle of the forest with no obvious source of its entrance. We posed for a few pictures, tried to drive it, then continued south. We camped high in a clear cut at about the 12 mile point. Shawn wanted to dry his boots out by the fire that evening because of an earlier misstep during a stream crossing, so he set them up to get the most heat from the fire. Since this was his first backpacking trip...or camping trip ever, we warned him against his decision to place them right next to the fire. Not paying attention...he set them on fire. Damage was minimal and he learned some great lessons, fire is hot and rubber burns. We struck camp early the next morning and kept our southbound heading finishing the trail in early afternoon at J HWY in Oates, Missouri. The finish line for this trip is the starting point of the Karkaghne Section which will be saved for another day. On a personal note, I was able to shave off about 13 pounds from my pack since the first trip. I had traded out my 4 season tent for a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight and simply left stuff at home. Final base pack weight (no food or water) for this trip was about 22 pounds. jm




Topo Maps



1 comment:

  1. I would like to give my version of this little "adventure" so lets start and put yourself in my shoes...I have never been backpacking, I have known these people for about 1 month and I show up and our fearless leader has shaved a mohawk in his head and informs us that we will be rustling through the woods in the middle of nowhere for the next 3 days and its the beginning of deer season... So here we go!!!! First night ... its a little rainy we stop at Taco Bell on the way down drink some beers and off to bed we go. Wake up and Mohawk man has fire going and warm bowl of oatmeal waiting for me...next thing we know we are off... In the other description of this trip it was not mentioned that we let some psycho lead us for the first 5 hours with his dog and he literally was like a machine.... (Several people had to stop n rest b/c of his pace but I was not gonna let that happen as a first timer) So we had a good trip that day and I learned what a switch back was. and I was really impressed with mohawk man and not only his level of preparation but his leadership with the group as well. So I did make a rookie mistake and step in some puddles but I was like how nice will this be I have a fire to dry out my socks and shoes and they will be nice and toasty when they dry... (it sounded good in my head at least) after the smell of burning rubber I knew I was f'ed anyway I will fast forward here b/c I am carrying on so some other highlights were waking up at 1 am with a soaking wet backpack and clothes, taking my first crap in the woods, Mohawk man making me pour out the last of my Fiji water on the little bit of steam on the fire, having summer sausage lunch with a breath taking view, staying at the head of the pack (still didnt want to look like a wuss) and puffing plenty of smokes along the way.... then riding home and eating at some shithole diner everyone thought was good.. Great first trip, learned a lot and wouldnt change a thing about it.. not even my 5 lb flask!!!

    ReplyDelete